In a previous post at the Comix Blog, I shared a story fragment that one of my dolls was based on. Now I’ve been making drawings based on the same story. I find the fact that I’m sharing my work in progress there very inhibiting. My drawings are very stiff – I’m struggling to let the story find itself. Instead of the work growing by chance and working by taking advantage of the accidents, I get stuck on visualising what the work should look like when it’s finished and trying to achieve that vision. Yuck.
I decided to share only fragments of my unfinished drawing, to give myself more space to make changes without feeling self-concious. And in the process, discovered something rather interesting. The fragments are much better than the whole drawings. Hmmm. Maybe that’s something to work with.