I’ve been regressing to my childhood, colouring in my “Butterfly Rider” drawing. You can see the line version of it here. Here is a version with colour added in Photoshop:
Here is a close-up:
And just for fun, here is what it looks like without the line 🙂
It’s been a long time since I’ve worked digitally, so I’ve been feeling my way slowly with this. This is the technique I’ve been using:
- Scan in the line work
- Use levels to heighten the contrast, not too much.
- Create a new layer under it.
- Set the linework layer to “multiply” so that the white areas become invisible.
- Lock the linework layer, and work only on the layers beneath.
Other things which worked for me –
- Use a very soft, transparent brush.
- Start with big washes of colour and carve the details back into the washes with a smaller brush.
- Use the keyboard shortcuts “[” and ” ]” to alter brush size as I work.
And the most important one: Do less than I think I should.